Bloomsbury, London, WC1N 3AQ


D1 (non Residential Institutions)



Ref no: 85537

Key Features
  • Situated facing an attractive and quiet garden square without through traffic
  • Entirely self-contained building
  • Bright, spacious rooms, a number of which have high ceilings
  • Passenger lift
  • Central heating
  • Roof terrace
  • freehold
Two impressive, interconnecting listed buildings available to let or for sale

The accommodation forms two attractive, interconnecting listed buildings across the lower ground, ground and three upper floors. There is a mix of period rooms complimented with large studio style spaces having high ceilings and roof lighting. In addition to the two original entrances to Queen Square, there is a further entrance to Old Gloucester Street.

Queen Square was laid out from 1680 onwards by Nicholas Barton, on a commission from the Curzon family, with numbers 42 and 43 being built as town houses in the early 18th Century when there was open land to the north of the square. By the 1880s new institutions turned the square into a hub for both medical and artistic organisations. In 1861 the Royal Female School of Art, the current owner, moved into first number 43 and then 42 Queen Square. The RFSA held their art classes here until 1908 when it merged with Central St. Martins. The building and other assets were set up as permanent endowments for the RFSA.

In 1910 they housed The London County Council Trade School for Girls, then in the 1930s the Technical College for Women, followed in the 1950s by the Stanhope Institute for adult education and finally from 1982 the Mary Ward Centre. The two Grade II listed buildings continue to fund the work of the Royal Female School of Art Foundation widening access to the arts via education.

The buildings have been the subject of significant alterations to the facades, roofs and interior. From the mid 19th Century, the buildings have been in largely educational use including a dedicated School of Art for Ladies, Technical College and Secondary School. Since 1982, the buildings have been let to and occupied by The Mary Ward Centre, again for educational purposes.

Read More Close
Further information