- United Biscuits (now pladis) is a multi-national food manufacturer of McVities, Jacobs and retailer branded biscuits located in Carlisle city centre.
- The factory site, approximately 10 acres comprising a range of different buildings, flooded in 2005 and 2015, due to overtopping of strategic local flood defences.
- Cluttons were instructed to carry out a feasibility study to assess whether the factory could be protected from future flooding and subsequently undertook detailed site investigations to develop a design that met the site constraints and operational needs of the client.
- We acted as project manager, principal designer and lead consultant to provide end-to-end service delivery, working closely with the factory management and contractor during the construction phase, adapting the designs to meet site conditions and accelerate programme.
- The defence works protect the whole site, and were designed so that construction avoided any shut down of factory processes.
- A comprehensive flood management plan is in place so that the period from issue of a flood warning to reopening the factory is minimised.