- James Walker are a manufacturer occupying a 13-acre site with buildings of around 16,000 sqm in the North West of England.
- The site flooded in 2009 and 2015 causing damage to buildings, equipment and product with disruption to on-going business operations.
- Faced with the possibility of moving the factory to another site, Cluttons were instructed to design appropriate flood defence infrastructure.
- As lead consultant we worked closely with our client and local stakeholders, to take the project from inception to completion and achieve our client’s goals.
- Our role included managing and co-ordinating a multi-disciplinary team to develop a site-specific design solution.
- The scheme includes ½km of timber clad sheet piled wall, volume compensation swales and a new perimeter access road to enhance site use.
- Our client now benefits from cost effective permanent flood defences, that can be made ready by one person in under half an hour.
- Further investment in this factory site can now proceed benefiting staff and the local economy.